To honor founding member Orlando Ridout V, who died in 2013, the Vernacular Architecture Forum has established a fieldwork fellowship in his name. Orlando, a mentor to so many of us, asked that donations in his memory be made to the VAF to support students’ and VAF members’ fieldwork training and activities. To fulfill his request, the Orlando Ridout V Fieldwork Fellowship was created, combining contributions to the Ridout memorial fund with the former Fund for Fieldwork, established by a generous gift from long-time VAF member Thomas Carter in 2012.
The Orlando Ridout V Fieldwork Fellowship will support and encourage students and VAF members in their field-based research and documentation projects, and in their efforts to learn and conduct fieldwork through apprenticeships, field schools, and continuing education and training projects.
The guidelines for the Orlando Ridout V Fieldwork Fellowship allow all VAF members, as well as students participating in field school programs, to apply to the VAF Ridout Fieldwork Fellowship Committee for monies to support their field-based projects and training opportunities.
Support is available in five categories:
1. Field school directors (VAF members) may apply for grants of up to $1000 to support their programs and/or provide financial aid to participants;
2. Students participating in field schools or other training opportunities may apply for stipends of up to $500 to attend such programs (prior VAF membership not required);
3. VAF members may apply for grants of up to $500 to support continuing education and professional training activities.
4. VAF members may apply for grants of up to $1000 for support of fieldwork activities related to the pursuit of academic degrees;
5. VAF members may apply for grants of up to $1000 to support fieldwork activities not related to fulfillment of academic degree requirements.
*Projects that explore and document cultural diversity are especially welcome.
For more detailed information on submission process, deadlines, and procedures, please see the VAF website page on the Orlando Ridout V Fieldwork Fellowships.