VAF is calling for nominations for the 2016 Buchanan Award that recognizes vernacular architectural studies that do not take the form of books or published work. The application deadline is February 19, 2016.
Paul E. Buchanan Award
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Paul Buchanan Investigating Plasterwork
The Paul E. Buchanan Award was instituted by VAF in 1993 to recognize contributions to the study and preservation of vernacular architecture and the cultural landscape that do not take the form of books or published work. Hundreds of studies, reports, documentation projects, restoration plans, National Register nominations, exhibits, video/digital media productions and public programs are completed each year without the benefit of distribution or recognition beyond the limited audience for which they were commissioned. Nonetheless, many of these efforts can serve to inform and inspire us all. The award is named for Paul E. Buchanan who served for over thirty years as the Director of Architectural Research at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. Buchanan set the standard for architectural fieldwork in America and inspired many VAF members in the rewards of fieldwork. This award honors the valuable work that most of our members and professional associates perform.
The Vernacular Architecture Forum seeks nominations for the Paul E. Buchanan Award.
Projects completed in the last two years are eligible for consideration and may include, but are not limited to:
- Architectural Recording Projects (including HABS/HAER/HALS)
- Historic Structures Reports
- Cultural Resource Surveys
- Historic Designation Studies (including National Register and National Historic Landmark)
- Preservation Plans
- Restoration Projects
- Furnishing Plans and Installations
- Exhibits and Other Temporary Installations
- Permanent Museum Exhibits
- Visual Arts Presentations (e.g. drawing, painting, photography, 3-D media)
- Film and Video Presentations
- Computer Applications and Modeling
- Educational and Interpretive Programs
- Symposia, Conferences, and Public Events
- Three electronic copies of the project product on CDs, DVDs, or flash drives as appropriate
- One hard copy of the project product on paper or other appropriate medium
- Cover letter briefly delineating the background and essential content of the project, and identifying the investigators and the sponsoring agency or organization
The application deadline for 2016 Buchanan Award is February 19, 2016.
Electronic nomination materials should be submitted to Buchanan Award. Hard copies should be sent to:Jennifer Cousineau
137 Millcroft Way
Jennifer Cousineau, chair
Past Buchanan Award Winners